Navigation Menu

Featured Post

The Contract Signing

The scorching Saturday sun didn't stop me from walking my way to GMA 7. It wasn't that far from Arlene's house in Baranggay Central where I was staying. Besides, I needed to get my blood circulating since I stopped doing boxing two months ago.

"Wear something that represents your personality", the email from Cine Totoo Programming wrote.  I don't know which clothes would represent my personality. All I know is I love wearing flip-flops. They're comfortable. And I decided against wearing them because it's the contract signing and photoshoot and tv plug shoot. Besides, my sneakers miss my feet already. From Davao, I didn't bring anything fancy to wear so I chose an ordinary shirt with random faces printed on it and wished none of the filmmakers would wear a suit.

"Be there earlier than 1pm as we will start on time", Jenny, the festival's Business Manager kept on reminding me through text days before. I was there fifteen minutes before 1 and I saw Ca, one of the finalists and my film schoolmate in UP, and her partner, Lester. I asked her about her documentary, it's about the concept of rape against women in Bontoc.

And yes. Ca's documentary has a very compelling subject. I began to rethink if I will be able to do my documentary well. Self-pressure. Not good.

The Cine Totoo filmmakers during the photoshoot.
Photo courtesy of Mark Lester Valle.

The orientation started with 10 out of the 11 finalists present. Festival Director Joseph Laban, Nessa Valdellon, GMA News TV Head, Jenny Licen, Cine Totoo Business Manager and a GMA lawyer were present to explain the contents of the contract that we were about to sign. After all our questions were answered, each filmmaker introduced himself and the concept of the documentary.

Bebs' confidence level update: down the drain. Yet I was excited at how different and unique all of our concepts were. I can't wait to see how the stories will be told on film.

After we signed the MOA, we proceeded to the ground floor for the photoshoot, interview and plug shoot.

Behind the scenes shot courtesy of Nessa Valdellon.

Over Amber's pichi-pichi, I got to chat with the other filmmakers and learn a little more about them (aside from the other friends I've known since - JT, Sig and Ca).

The festival will be in August, by the way. Four months of processing the documentary which I am quite skeptical about. The time is short and documentaries take time to make. I think I just need to believe in the power of my concept and I hope I will be able to find compelling subjects to carry the film and their redeeming stories. I also don't know how I would react seeing my face on national television. The thought of it gives me shivers.

I am still nervous about this whole festival, actually. Alright, more excited. Well, I think more nervous. I need to give this my best shot.

1 shouts:

Unknown said...

Mami! Ngayon ko lang nabasa ito. Nanumbalik ang memories :D Pero pwera bola, we think your docu will be one of the most refreshing in the festival: magaan at verite ang treatment at sobrang unique ang subject. Tuloy-tuloy lang!

Labyu, let's celebrate nambongga pag tapos na lahat. Yakap mula rito sa Cordi! <3

Instagram

Follow @ bebsisms