Navigation Menu

Featured Post

#143TY in Myanmar

Something is going to happen at the end of the month. I have been looking forward to this since last year. "I love you. Thank you." will be screening at the &Proud Yangon LGBT Film Festival. This was originally scheduled last November but the organizers had to move it to January because of the elections in Myanmar.


The description of "I love you. Thank you." at the &Proud website.

Established in 2014, &PROUD is a non-profit initiative of a number of organisations and individuals in Yangon. They organise cultural events in Myanmar for the LGBT community to make LGBTs more visible to the rest of the Myanmar society.

The film festival is still a baby, only on its second year this year. With the country expected to see a major shift when the government changes in 2016, the predominantly Buddhist country is still antagonistic of LGBTs. Section 377 of the penal code - prohibits same sex sexual activity and sodomy - is still in effect. 

A still from "I love you. Thank you."

I think &Proud Yangon LGBT Film Festival significant for providing an avenue for LGBTs in Myanmar to form a community that opens their eyes on their culture and how LGBTs are in other Asian countries. I am excited to go there because first, it will be my first time to visit Myanmar. Second, I want to meet Myanmar LGBTs who have interesting stories to tell and third, I want to see how they are going to react to the film. It would be exciting to see and hear new perspectives and I can't wait to prove that unrequited love is indeed, universal.

0 shouts:

Instagram

Follow @ bebsisms